City Branding in Hungary: Local, Regional and European perspectives
21-28 July 2019
As a series of twenty class units, the course is designed to explain the generic role played by cultural heritage in the construction of city brands in Central and Eastern Europe. Cultural heritage as a core element of policy making is a concept which emphasises the connection between history and contemporary identity of human groups. In the image making of cities, cultural heritage links their history to contemporary collective agencies. During the classes we’ll examine the connection of the two elements in the case of Hungarian, Romanian and Ukrainian cities.
(1) The Concept of Cultural Heritage in Central and Eastern Europe;
(2) Cultural Heritage and Multiculturalism;
(3) The Role of History in City Branding;
(4) European Capital of Culture, European Green Capital Award, European Capital of Sport, European Youth Capital;
(5) Budapest – Bucharest – Kiev;
(6) Pécs – Sibiu – Uzhhorod;
(7) Cluj-Napoca – Debrecen – Lviv;
(8) The Role of Heritage in the Visual Communication of City Brands.